Senior UX Designer
Colle McVoy / 04.2016 – Present / Minneapolis, MN
For digital projects, I am responsible for hierarchy of content, implementing existing interaction patterns, inventing new patterns when needed, advocating for proper form-field practices, executing on a mobile-first strategy, and working with visual designers and developers to implement successfully. For other mediums, I apply UX principles, my knowledge of human behavior and psychology, systems thinking, and iterative design to voice interfaces, environmental design, and interactions with physical objects.
- Information architecture and taxonomy
- Voice interface design
- Search optimization
- Brand strategy
- Workshop facilitation and design
- User research and user testing
- Interaction design
- Email templates and user journeys
- User flow diagrams
- Logic flow diagrams
Brands I’ve worked with: Cub Cadet, Align Technology, Land O’Lakes, WinField United, Forage Genetics International
AIMIA / 11.2015 – 04.2016 / Minneapolis, MN
Designing consumer facing loyalty websites for various clients that balance user needs with business objectives.
- Wireframe documentation for clients and team members
- Documentation to help communicate usability requirements and best practices
- Information architecture–starting from scratch and migrations to a new platform
- Collaborate with front-end developer to ensure recommendations account for technical specifications
- Assist with email template design to create cohesive touchpoints
McCann Minneapolis / 08.2014 – 11.2015 / Minneapolis, MN
Working with an off-site team for a long-term client focusing on interaction details and UX best practices for consumer facing responsive websites.
- Creating clickable prototypes for user testing
- Animating behaviors with video for proof of concept
- Researching and writing UX guidelines based on industry accepted usability standards
- Wireframing and documentation of site components and flows
- Working with client’s development team to ensure quality of interaction details and experiences
User Experience Design Co-op
IBM / 05.2013– 08.2013 / Raleigh-Durham, NC
IBM’s Collaboration Solutions team works on a variety of business-to-business software solutions for multiple platforms including mobile devices.
- Designed part of the Connections application software for mobile devices (both iOS and Android)
- Created concept from wireframes to hi-res mock ups
- Designed low-fi prototypes
- Worked directly with development team during programming of both iOS and Android products
- Observed user-testing interviews and participated in documentation of testing software before release
Research Assistantship with Martha Scotford
Ernst Reichl Project / 09.2012– Present / Raleigh, NC
Martha Scotford has researched the career of German book designer Ernst Reichl; creating a database of personal notes he made for almost every book he designed. Scotford has curated and edited this information for use in an exhibition of his work in the Columbia University Library for Summer 2013.
- Assisting with database organization, digitization, and refinement
- Website design and image editing
Graphic Design Intern
University Sustainability Office at NCSU / 01.2013– 05.2013 / Raleigh, NC
The University Sustainability Office of North Carolina State University organizes and oversees all of the
sustainable efforts and programs associated with the university.
- Designed and prepared various print communication materials
- Responsible for logomarks and branding of events and initiatives
Catral Doyle Creative Co. / 12.2011 – 07.2012 / Milwaukee, WI
A Milwaukee based boutique design agency specializing in web design, branding and the emerging technique of telestration videos.
- Designed and coded websites (HTML, CSS)
- Assisted with design and art direction of websites
- Updated websites on the WordPress platform
- Deployed email blasts and analyzed click-through data
- Assisted with information architecture for complex content systems
- Designed logos and supporting identity materials
- Print production
User Interface Design Intern
RF Technologies / 06.2010 – 12.2011 / Brookfield, WI
RF Technologies designs and produces RFID security location systems for health care and educational spaces.
- Designed interfaces and functionality for software products relating to locative systems using RFID tags
- Designed icons for user interfaces
- Collaborated with engineers and programmers to create testable prototypes
TEACHING & LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE
Teaching Assistant, Graphic Design Capstone Studio
North Carolina State University / 01.2014–Present / Raleigh, NC
Graphic Design Capstone Studio is the final semester for undergraduate seniors, taught by Professor Denise Gonzales Crisp.
- Guiding students in developing a professional presence
- Assisting with critique and development of Capstone project
Graduate Symposium Leadership Role
North Carolina State University / 01.2014 / Raleigh, NC
The MGD program at NCState hosts a biennial symposium. This year’s theme was Improversion.
- Management and delegation of tasks to peers
- Facilitation of location set-up and coordination of technology
- Facilitation and organization of event details
Kettle Moraine Middle School / 01.3.2014 / Dousman, WI
Invited to lecture young students embarking on an editorial writing project including elements of design.
- Presented brief history of graphic design
- Explained importance of page layout and hierarchy for a viewer’s reading experience
Design Camp Instructor – Graphic Design
CAM Raleigh / 07.22.2013 – 07.26.2013 / Raleigh, NC
Design Camp is a unique experience that offers hands-on exposure to different areas of design for high school students including graphic design, industrial design, landscape architecture, design studies, and animation.
- Collaborated with peers for design of course materials and paper prototyping project
- Designed and created worksheets
- 20 minute lecture presentation on the history of graphic design
Guest Discussion Leader
Young Tongues by Nate Pyper / 07.2012 / Milwaukee, WI
Young Tongues was a format for critical discussion about the influences and affects of culture on graphic design and designers. The discussion I led was focused on the changes in the field related to social media.
- Prepared short introduction to discussion
- Engaged in dialogue with designers, artists, and interested citizens.
North Carolina State University
Master of Graphic Design Candidate, May 2014
Relevant Coursework: Design as a Cognitive Artifact Studio, Design Research Methods and Principles Seminar, New Information Environments Studio and Seminar, Design Education Seminar, Design as Cultural Artifact Studio, Cultural Studies Seminar
Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design
BFA in Communication Design, May 2011
Deans List 2008, 2009, 2010
Portfolio Recognition Scholarship 2008–2011
Juried Exhibition Exhibitor May 2011-July 2011
Relevant Coursework: Communication Design 1-2, Typography 1-2,
Packaging Design, Computer Studio 1-2, Information Graphics, Web Design